If you are offended by the title, please read on. I am not someone who lives with the attitude of “I have arrived”, “I’ve got this”, “I’ve got it together” …or anything else that sounds like that. However, I have arrived into a new season, a new decade, a new era. The old is gone and the new is coming…
This spring and summer, my husband and I watched our third son graduate from high-school in June with plans to move out of state (deeming us empty-nesters). We also celebrated the marriage of our middle son to a beautiful young lady in July. Just this week, I completed half a century of life. And since not one more minute or experience is guaranteed in my life, I thought I would do a post about the lessons I have learned.
“No Longer Slaves” by Bethel, is a very personal song for me and it unravels me with a melody that always reminds me that from my mother’s womb, God has CHOSEN me. From deliverance to the drowning of fears and to accepting His Perfect love for me, I am no longer a slave to anything (at least that I which I am aware of). But I am a child of God.
So yes, I made a list of 50 things that I have learned in the past 5 decades…most of them in the past 25 years…thanks to moving to the USA from Canada, marriage, parenting, running a salon, leading ministries and starting my own consulting business, just to name a few. Hope it encourages you!
Here’s to 5 decades behind me, the present with all its joys and challenges, and to whatever God has in store for me going forward. #ISurrenderAll.
So, without further adieu, here’s my list. Not in any specific order, just how they came to me. I would love to hear how they impact your story.
- Keep my eyes on Jesus not on people.
- Be true to myself.
- Live my story.
- Be authentic…even when I am rejected.
- Obeying God is the key to my success.
- Love well so I can live well.
- Be honest to myself and to others.
- Learning “I can’t care more than you do” about someone else’s situation.
- Be consistent.
- Live a life of integrity.
- It’s ok to not like pink or pets.
- People will always disappoint, God will not.
- Never drink coffee when wearing white jeans.
- When things go WRONG always make sure I am RIGHT with God.
- Ask God what He wants to do in my life not just what I want Him to do.
- Consider others better than myself.
- Learn my own pace.
- Let God’s Word be my pace car in my life.
- Surrender only on days that end in “y”.
- Listen to and obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
- Emotional health and spiritual maturity go together.
- Keep confidences.
- Relish the moments where I get a front-row seat to God’s work in someone’s life.
- Speak truth.
- Don’t let people “should” on me.
- Stay true to my convictions.
- Don’t try to keep up with others.
- Focus on God’s calling on my life.
- Embrace negative emotions / feelings and then surrender them to God for His purposes.
- Acknowledge God’s authority in all I do.
- Take “mental trips” down memory lane.
- Don’t fight the growth process.
- Let God be God.
- Unity results in exponential growth.
- Understand your own expectations.
- Most of life’s decisions are in wet cement.
- Who I am is more important than what I do.
- Hold all things loosely.
- Taking risks will reveal strengths and weaknesses.
- Learn to live into MY strengths not the ones people think I have.
- Stand firm in the knowledge that God loves me…NO MATTER WHAT.
- Surround myself with genuine and authentic people.
- Mind my own boundaries.
- Make sure to always have margin in my life.
- Learn to have fun.
- Always trust God with the story of another person.
- Take more RISKS so I have less REGRETS.
- Cry because it is good for my soul not their expectation.
- Become a shame lifter and grace giver.
- Own my brokenness and pour out God’s healing in me.
Here’s to learning more and Growing Forward Together!!
Thank you for joining me on this journey.